Our Mission at CAP
Community Academy of Philadelphia (CAP) a Pennsylvania Charter School is an independent public school. Our school is accredited PK-12 by the Middle States Association Commissions on Elementary and Secondary Schools.
Our mission is to effectively serve urban youth in search of a positive school experience in a supportive environment. CAP is dedicated to the whole child and believes that education is not just acquiring facts and skills but having the emotional and stable capacity to apply them in the real world. CAP is dedicated to offering quality education while also responding to the non-academic student issues that can have a significant impact on academic and overall emotional/social functioning.
CAP believes that attention to the whole child requires an attentive, multi-layered learning style setting. CAP encourages the arts and cultural activities as fundamental to a sound education. Our school challenges each student to explore his/her personal and academic potential as future adult Americans in an evolving democracy and ever-changing world. In the words of Epictetus, “Only the educated are free.”
Our school holds paramount the needs of our students and challenges the faculty and staff to be creative and nurturing. Our school values personal responsibility. We believe that a trusting, caring and mutually respectful relationship must exist between adults and young people. We affirm that a safe environment, free from violence, abuse, and intimidation is possible within a framework of adult leadership.
Every aspect of CAP is dedicated to providing a quality education while keeping in mind the special needs of our students. CAP is a multi-racial, multi-ethnic, and multi-religious family that holds camaraderie and cooperation as essential values. CAP does not discriminate based on race, color, sex, sexual preference, religion, disability, or ethnic or national origin, but rather seeks to empower the diverse young people of Philadelphia through a productive and satisfying school program.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
● To engender a sense of accountability in which students assume responsibility and consequences for their own actions.
● To promote a safe, calm, and disciplined environment in which students can come to discover and develop their talents.
● To recognize that education is a process that allows the students to integrate knowledge with life experiences.
● To instill an appreciation that the search for knowledge is a life-long journey based on the skills learned at the Community Academy of Philadelphia.
● To empower the student to recognize his/her needs and use resources to solve problems effectively.
● To foster a spirit of unity in which each individual recognizes his/her own self-worth while respecting others.
● To foster mastery of basic skills as the foundations for achievement in any endeavor.
● To instill an ethic that hard work and self-discipline are the cornerstones of success.
● To provide the student with strong and positive adult role models.
● To provide counseling and social services to aid students in their adjustment and/or re-adjustment to school life, address individual needs, and ultimately prepare for post-secondary life.
● To produce opportunities through various activities that allow the student to become responsibly independent and effectively independent.
● To encourage students to explore outside themselves and their immediate circumstances and to explore things not found in their day-to-day encounters.
● To assist and depend upon the active positive co-operation of the parents (families) of the students to teach essential values required for academic and personal success.