translation services



Consistent with the mission of Community Academy, the Emotional Support Team (EST) is dedicated to

responding to the social and emotional needs of the children who attend our school. EST staff addresses

personal issues that have affected students in a safe, supportive environment. Our goal is to ensure that

students have the most positive and successful school experience possible.



  What We Do


  • Psychiatric Evaluations

  • Prescribe and Monitor Medications

  • Individual Counseling

  • Group Counseling (i.e. Affect Management,

   Social Skills, Grief Support, Teen Parent Support) 

  • Coordinate Outside Services and/or Referrals

  • Provide Consultation for Parents and Teachers

  • Mediation/Conflict Resolution

  • Psychoeducational Testing

  • Provide Staff Development Workshops













Q: What do counselors/therapists do?

     A: Therapists and counselors help clients identify goals and potential solutions to problems, improve communication

     and coping skills, strengthen self-esteem and help promote behavior change and optimal mental health. 

Q: What is the difference between a psychiatrist, counselor/therapist, and social worker?

     A: A psychiatrist can provide therapy, but unlike a counselor or therapist, they can also diagnose and prescribe

     medication. At CAP, our therapists/counselors provide ongoing therapy, and the social workers provide support

     and short term counseling. 

 Q: How do I know when my child needs counseling?

     A: A student may need counseling if he/she becomes overwhelmed with a problem or is experiencing

    emotional distress that may be causing him/her to have difficulty functioning in daily life. A student may need

    counseling after the death of a loved one, witnessing, or falling victim to a violent act(s), family, or relationship


 Q: How is my child referred for EST services?

    A: Students can be referred by a number of sources. Teachers and or administrators that may become concerned

    with a student's behavior in the class can refer that student to EST. Parents can also refer their child for counseling

    services by contacting the counselor for their child's grade. Students can also refer to themselves (or a friend) if they

    want to speak in confidence with a counselor. 

 Q: Do I have to get counseling services from the school?

    A: No, parents can contact their primary doctor or insurance company to obtain a referral for counseling or evaluations. 

 Q: Can parents be present during counseling sessions?

    A: Typically, parents are not included during the sessions, because we do not provide family counseling. 

 Q: Can parents or teachers contact EST to find out what students have disclosed?

   A: Due to confidentiality, we cannot disclose what students share with us unless otherwise stated by law. 

 Q: How do I know if a student needs to be tested for special education?

   A: There are certain developmental milestones that children should reach such as their first word or step.

Delays in development or significant difficulties in learning may indicate a learning disability.


To be sure, parents and teachers should contact Ms.McLaughlin at (215) 533-6700, extension 322.