Emotional Support


Consistent with the mission of Community Academy, the Emotional Support Team (EST) is dedicated to responding to the social and emotional needs of the children who attend our school. EST staff address personal issues that have affected students in a safe, supportive environment. Our goal is to insure that students have the most positive and successful school experience possible.

What We Do

  • Psychiatric Evaluations
  • Prescribe and Monitor Medications
  • Group and Individual Counseling
  • Coordinate Outside Services and/or Referrals
  • Provide Consultation for Parents and Teachers
  • Teach Guidance Lessons/Activities
  • Mediation/Conflict Resolution
  • Psychoeducational Testing
  • Provide Staff Development Workshops


Q: What do counselors/therapists do?
A: Therapists and counselors help clients identify goals and potential solutions to problems, improve communication and coping skills, strengthen self-esteem, and help promote behavior change and optimal mental health.

Q: What is the difference between a psychiatrist, counselor/therapist and social worker?
A: A psychiatrist can provide therapy, but unlike a counselor or therapist, they can also diagnose and prescribe medication. At CAP, our therapists/counselors provide ongoing therapy, and the social workers provide support and short term counseling.

Q: How do I know when my child needs counseling?
A: A student may need counseling if he/she becomes overwhelmed with a problem or is experiencing emotional distress that may be causing him/her to have difficulty functioning in daily life. A student may need counseling after the death of a loved one, witnessing or falling victim to a violent act(s), family or relationship issues.

Q: How do I refer my child for EST services?
A: Lower school students are referred through the vice principal of the lower school, middle school students are referred directly to the middle school social worker, and high school students are referred through the high school principal. Parents interested in obtaining services for their child can contact the social worker for their child’s grade.

Q: Do I have to get counseling services from the school?
A:No, parents can contact their primary doctor or insurance company to obtain a referral for counseling or evaluations.

Q: Can parents be present during counseling sessions
A:Typically, parents are not included during the sessions, because we do not provide family counseling.

Q: Can parents or teachers contact EST to find out what students have disclosed?
A:Due to confidentiality, we cannot disclose what students share with us unless otherwise stated by law.

Q: How do I know if a student needs to be tested for special education?
A:There are certain developmental milestones that children should reach such as their first word or step. Delays in development or significant difficulties in learning may indicate a learning disability. To be sure, parents and teachers should contact Ms. McLaughlin at (215) 533-6700, extension 508.